Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Some Songs Are That Good: What Becomes of the Broken Hearted

I was at work the other day and a song came on. I'd heard it countless times before but for the life of me couldn't remember who it was or what the song was called. I caught a couple of the lyrics and looked it up when I got home. Turns out it was Jimmy Ruffin singing "What becomes of the Broken Hearted". A Motown classic if there ever was one.

When it came on I swear it made time stand still. And then I got to thinking, maybe that's what makes a song a good song.


The next day I went to the record store in my neighborhood to see if I could find the 45, or at least a Motown collection with the song on it. I asked the owner, Tony, if he knew the song and he instantly starting singing it to me. He pulled out the "R" section in his 45 collection and I started going through it feeling lucky. But alas, no dice.

Here's a home video I found on youtube of the actual 45 playing in real time.



Notice how the song is all chorus. Now that's a sure-fire way to make a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment